Friday 20 June 2014

STUFF BREAKS - Silvercore Firearms Training BC

STUFF BREAKS - Silvercore Firearms Training BC
BY HILTON YAM   |   POSTED ON 06/12/2014 BY HILTON YAM   | Silvercore

Who packs a spare locking block? As I start gearing up for a class with Mike Pannone next week, preparation of gear is at the top of the list.  I am often asked what spare parts I take for my guns when I attend a class.  My answer is always to bring a spare gun.  No matter how well you stock your spare parts bin, you will inevitably break something you did not pack.  If you are paying top dollar for class tuition fees, taking time off from work, and traveling to attend a class, you want to maximize your time on the firing line.  I don’t care how many small parts you have or how great you are at fixing your gun, nothing is faster than benching your deadlined gun and pulling a different one out of the gear bag.  If you are able to bring commonly broken/lost spare parts to revive the other gun, then great.  Do that on lunch break or back at the hotel room at night.

The above pictured M&P is the first I’ve seen or heard of a locking block rail breaking. As captioned, it is a first generation .40, and this particular gun has broken pretty much every part that has been known to break on an M&P. Most shooters would probably not have a spare locking block in their parts kit, so a spare pistol would be necessary.

It is common for 1911 shooters to have a custom gun built with a spare fitted extractor, and it is not an entirely bad idea.  However, keep in mind that the fitting was accomplished when the gun was new and hopefully in spec, and thousands of rounds of wear on the slide and firing pin stop can change how that extractor fits and functions.  For that reason, as well as the daunting task of keeping so many extractors matched to particular guns, I never went the route of the fitted spare.  I had the added advantage of knowing how to fit my own spares on the spot, but I always preferred a spare gun over any additional work during a class.Plan well with your gear, and remember the old adage, “One is none, two is one.”  Now get out and train!!!

C.T. http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9271

@Silvercore #Silvercore #Firearms #Training #BC 

Sincerely,
Silvercore Firearms Training
7198 Vantage Way Delta, BC V4G 1K7
604-940-7785
www.silvercore.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment