Friday 4 July 2014

MORE MUSINGS ON MODIFYING THE MODERN POLYMER SERVICE PISTOL - Silvercore Firearms Training BC

MORE MUSINGS ON MODIFYING THE MODERN POLYMER SERVICE PISTOL - Silvercore Firearms Training BC

BY TIM LAU   |   POSTED ON 07/02/2014   |   IN MODERN SERVICE PISTOLS



Disturbingly, Hilton and I are both hearing more and more about failures on the range or in classes of heavily modified polymer pistols. There are more and more “shops” coming out of the woodwork advertising customization and enhancement of Glocks and M&Ps and not all are created equal. Many commonly offer CNC machine work or grip texturing to improve the handling characteristics of the pistol. Some other shops offer “improved” fire control parts to lighten and or improve the feedback of the trigger. Unfortunately, most of the time, modification of the factory fire control parts ends up meaning a decrease in reliability and/or durability of the weapon.


My personal preference, based on tinkering with many aftermarket brands, usually involves sticking with the factory fire control parts. In the case of Glock, I will use a dot or minus connector with very light polish on working surfaces. In the case of an M&P, I make an exception and like the Apex sear, spring upgrades, and domed plunger. For a duty or defensive gun, I do not deviate from this formula. When going to a Glock or M&P, I have come to terms with the fact that I won’t ever achieve the crisp break and reset of a 1911 trigger, and the more you try to make a Glock trigger into a 1911, the more problems arise. Instead, I’ve simply learned to shoot the gun. Recently, I shot the FBI Bullseye Course and my score with a stock G17 trigger was 280, and with my customized duty 1911 it was 279.

There are more options than ever for customizing and personalizing your modern service pistol. If you decide to go this route, make sure you choose a reputable shop that specializes in reliable modifications in the context of duty or defensive applications. And be sure to use common sense and don’t buy into the hype of every brand new product.  I recommend the following shops:
Boresight Solutions
ATEi Guns


@Silvercore #Silvercore #Firearms #Training #BC #Canada

Sincerely,
Silvercore Firearms Training
7198 Vantage Way Delta, BC V4G 1K7
604-940-7785
www.silvercore.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment