Monday 11 August 2014

REVISITING THE GLOCK FACTORY EXTENDED SLIDE STOP

REVISITING THE GLOCK FACTORY EXTENDED SLIDE STOP

BY HILTON YAM   |   POSTED ON 08/08/2014 |   IN MODERN SERVICE PISTOLS REVIEW TRAINING WEAPON MODIFICATIONS

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=10953

When I first started running the Gen 4 Glocks, I was fairly insistent that due to the shorter fore/aft size of the new frame, I no longer needed to use an extended slide stop with the guns. All of my Gen 3 Glocks sport some type of extended slide stop, but now with the slightly smaller Gen 4 frame I had found that my thumb was better able to reach the standard length slide stop. That all worked great until one day where I trained in the pouring rain….As with most good ideas, my minimalist setup worked great in dry fire and under ideal range conditions, but when rain slicked up my hands and the gun, I found that I really had to bear down on the slide stop to keep from slipping off the small lever. As a result, my slide stop reloads got really slow. A quick trip to the parts box and about 60 seconds of work corrected my slide stop arrogance, and I was back in business with quick, positive slide lock reloads happening once again.

There are a plethora of aftermarket slide stops out there, but I have found over the years that I keep going back to the Glock factory extended unit, which is the same that ships on the Glock 34/35. The added length, smooth profile, and positive ledge make for extremely consistent slide lock reloads as well as comfortable use and carry. Additionally, I find that Glock parts work really well in Glock pistols. I know, controversial observation, but read in between the lines.

Ever since transitioning to shooting plastic pistols full time, I now use my shooting hand thumb to drop the slide stop rather than using my support hand thumb. The use of the support hand thumb is measurably slower, but was a holdover from shooting the 1911 in addition to modern pistol designs. Using my support hand thumb allowed me to have commonality of technique, if at the expense of performance on certain platforms.

If you have dismissed an extended slide stop on your Glock as “gamer nonsense,” I would suggest that you take the 60 seconds to install one and give it an honest try for a bit.



@Silvercore#Silvercore #Firearms #Training #BC #Canada

Sincerely,
Silvercore Firearms Training
7198 Vantage Way Delta, BC V4G 1K7
604-940-7785
www.silvercore.ca
https://plus.google.com/+SilvercoreCa
Show less

No comments:

Post a Comment